Hameed’s Lamb Tashreeb (Iraqi Soup)
(Serves 4 - 6)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1kg lamb forequarter chops, trimmed
1 onion, trimmed, cut in to 1cm wedges
1 teaspoon turmeric
4 cups chicken stock
¾ cup (185ml) tomato puree
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 Persian dried lime, halved
2 medium potatoes, peeled, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
2 pieces Middle Eastern flatbread, torn into wedges
1. Heat oil in a large heavy based saucepan over medium to high heat. Add lamb in batches. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove and set aside.
2. Add onion to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally for 2 minutes or until softened. Stir in turmeric. Cook until fragrant.
3. Add the chicken stock, tomato puree, tomato paste, dried lime and potato. Stir until combined. Return lamb and its juices to the pot. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 1 hour or until the lamb is tender. Stir in the chickpeas.
5. Divide bread between serving bowls. Spoon soup over bread. Sprinkle with parsley to serve.